Codeine Addiction and Opioid Addiction: The Problem
Codeine Addiction and Opioid addiction is a huge problem in America. Statistics from the National Institute on Drug Abuse show that there were seven to eight million abusers of Rx drugs in 2009. The number of individuals overdosing on Rx narcotics (on purpose or by accident) has tripled since the year 1999. High school seniors are abusing Rx medications at a rate of 10%. Most non-medical use of these prescriptions comes from friends or family who have the medication. The painkiller Oxycontin is one narcotic that has reached epidemic proportions in its’ diversion and abuse. Codeine appears to be less of a problem, but still present.
Many people start with opioids including codeine for a medical issue such as migraines, only to have their use escalate to an opioid addiction. Others start by experimenting in high school only to find they needed to keep using to avoid opioid withdrawals. People then begin to consider if they have an addiction. They want to cease the medication, but they are starting to have major problems like legal issues. Many never had opioid or other addiction problems before. Here are some signs of codeine addiction and opioid addiction:
Top 10 Symptoms of an Codeine Addiction and Opioid Addiction
1. You sell your things for money to buy opioids and codeine
2. You keep using opioids including codeine with little regard to the problems caused: such as money, family, legal, or physical problems.
3. You use other addictive drugs : alcohol, tobacco,pot, extacy,etc.
4. You go to seedy places, have dealings with questionable individuals to obtain durgs.
5. Others tell you that you use too much pain medication and opioids. There may be arguments over your use.
6. You spend a lot of you day thinking of getting the medication and and getting it.
7. You go to multiple doctors for pain medication.
8. You steal prescriptions from others.
9.You are use more medication than prescribed by your doctor.
10. Work and family comes second to you thinking and getting drugs.
Avoid Codeine and Opioid Addiction
Opioid medications including codeine have been very helpful for people with a lot of pain. These medications have brought risks. They have been diverted and sold for a profit. People become hooked and can’t stop. This has become worse as they have been prescribed in larger numbers. The first way to avoid codeine addiction is to only use Rx medication under the care of a single doctor. Having multiple physicians prescribing codeine and narcotics to you will eventually cause problems. Never change the dose of a medication on your own. This is a recipe for disaster. Call your doctor and simply check. One problem with changing the medication on you own is that your doctor may eventually not give you the medication if you keep running out early.
The next way to limit problems with opioids and codeine is to discuss with your physician other treatments for pain. There are many other treatments ranging from non-narcotic medications to acupunture and massage therapy. You should also know that opioids can make chonic pain worse. Relying on them to treat pain changes the body chemistry and makes you more sensitive to pain. In the end, long-term use of opioids for pain does not work well for most .
Opioid Addiction Symptoms Recap
There are many symptoms and signs of codeine addiction and opioid addiction. Others can see the problems caused by the codeine use and may tell you. Other signs are physician shopping, and taking more medication over time. Having physical, legal, family, social, and employment problems from the opioid occurs. Be sure to frequently talk with your physician about stopping opioid medications including codeine and if this would be the right choice for you. Long-term opioid use can cause more harm than most believe.
Here is more help with Codeine Addiction and Opioid Addiction
- www.allabutsuboxone.com : A site that reviews the use of Suboxone for the treatment of opioid abuse and dependence. It also contains a suboxone doctor directory.
- www.oxycontintreatmentdirectory.com: Site focused onOxycontin Addiction. It contains a search function to find treatment help in your area
- NLB-National Library of Medicine: Opioid dependence article
- www.methadonetreatmentclinics.net: Site focused on methadone maintenance and opioid addiction